Hande is no longer a member of staff at NIESR
Hande’s research interests are international macroeconomics, monetary economics, macroeconomic modelling and policy analysis with an expertise in emerging economies.
- PhD Economics, London School of Economics, 2011
- MRes Economics, London School of Economics, 2007
- MSc Economics, Middle East Technical University, 2004
- BSc Economics, Middle East Technical University, 2001
- Deputy Director, NIESR, September 2020 –
- Deputy Director, Central Bank of Turkey, Research and Monetary Policy Department, March 2015 – August 2020
- Economist, Central Bank of Turkey, Research and Monetary Policy Department, 2011-2015
- Visiting Lecturer, Bilkent University, Department of Economics, 2013-2015
- Visiting Lecturer, Middle East Technical University, Department of Economics, 2014-2015
- Research Assistant, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE, 2006-2011
- Teaching Assistant, London School of Economics, 2006-2010
- Consultant, Bank of England, Monetary Assessment and Strategy Division, April-July 2009
- PhD Intern, Bank of England, Monetary Instruments and Markets Division, June-September 2008
- Researcher, Central Bank of Turkey, Research and Monetary Policy Department, 2002-2005
- “Identifying Credit Supply Shocks in Turkey”, Central Bank of Turkey Working Paper Series No. 19/06, 2019 (with Tayyar Büyükbaşaran and Gökçe Karasoy Can)
- “The Interaction between Monetary and Fiscal Policies in a Small-Scale Structural Model”, CBRT Research Notes in Economics No. 18/15, 2018 (with Tayyar Büyükbaşaran and Cem Çebi).
- “International Risk Sharing and Portfolio Choice with Non-separable Preferences”, CEPR Discussion Paper No. 10724, 2016 (with Alan Sutherland)
- “Interest Rate Corridor, Liquidity Management, and the Overnight Spread,” Contemporary Economic Policy 34(4), October 2016, 746-761 (with Pınar Özlü, Anıl Talaslı, Deren Ünalmış and Canan Yüksel)
- “News Shocks, Monetary Policy and Foreign Currency Positions”, Federal Reserve Bank of New York Staff Reports, Number 750, 2015 (with Bianca De Paoli)
- “Inflation Dynamics in Turkey: In Pursuit of a Domestic Cost Measure,” Emerging Markets Finance and Trade 51 (2), March 2015, 418-31 (with Selen Başer and Fethi Öğünç)
- “In Search of a Reasonable Credit Growth Rate for Turkey,” Central Bank Review 14(1), January 2014, 1-14 (with Hakan Kara, Tolga Tiryaki and Canan Yüksel)
- “Oil Price Uncertainty in a Small Open Economy,” IMF Economic Review 61(1), April 2013, 168-198 (with Yusuf Soner Başkaya and Timur Hülagü)
- “Portfolio Allocation and International Risk Sharing,” Canadian Journal of Economics 45(2), May 2012, 535-565 (with Gianluca Benigno). Also available as CEPR Discussion Paper No. 8810
- “Inflation Expectations in Turkey: Learning to be Rational,” Applied Economics 42(21), 2010, 2725-2742 (with Hakan Kara).
- “Exchange Rate Regimes and Pass-through: Evidence from the Turkish Economy”, Contemporary Economic Policy 25 (2), April 2007, 206-225 (with Hakan Kara, Ümit Özlale, Burç Tuğer, and Eray M. Yücel).
- “Relative Price Variability: The Case of Turkey 1994-2002”, Central Bank Review, Vol. 4(2), July 2004 (with Burç Tuğer).
Other Articles/Blog Posts:
“Effects of Covid-19 in emerging economies”, National Institute Economic Review, 253, August 2020.
“When and How Does Fiscal Policy Become Effective?”, CBRT Blog, August 2017 (with Erdal Yılmaz).
“Hedging Income Fluctuations with Foreign Currency Assets”, Federal Reserve Bank of New York Liberty Street Economics Blog, January 2016 (with Bianca De Paoli).